Course Selection for students in Yr 11-13 working towards NCEA Level 1, 2 or 3
Your selection of subjects for next year will follow Academic Counselling.
- Yr 11 will select 5 subjects, each will involve 20-24 credits assessed per course, most, but not all courses will include external exam assessment. Some courses do not continue onto the next levels.
- Yr 12 and 13 will select 5 subjects, each will involve around 24 credits assess per course, most, but not all courses will include external exam assessment
- Students likely to achieve less than ½ required for NCEA will most likely remain at that level for most subjects.
- Students closer to completing NCEA may be able to advance in SOME subjects
- Students who complete NCEA will usually be able to advance.
- Some subjects have prerequisite work that must be completed before moving up a level ie specific units at this level must be completed before you can move up
- Literacy and Numeracy requirements may affect choices for those with limited prior completion
During Academic Counselling teachers, deans, parents and students will consider”
- Your requests
- Your results to date
- Your attitude
- Your targets
- The requirements for completion of NCEA and your future
A course selection made in Term 3:
- Will be confirmed, and change maybe required, when the whole years performance can be considered
- Will help us create a new timetable for next year
- The availability of courses for students will be affected by numbers selecting subjects and results achieved
NCEA involves many levels of success:
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Course completion
- NCEA itself
- Each achievement standard course may be endorsed at Merit or Excellence.
- 14 credits at higher levels need to be gained in one year for Course endorsement
- 5 course endorsements could be possible each year
- Other requirements will be identified later
- NCEA itself maybe endorsed for MERIT or EXCELLENCE by gaining 50 credits at those levels
- Students may complete these NCEA awards over more than one year
- Many students will complete an award at a lower level by completion of work the following year, at a higher level.
- You may need to apply for a new certificate
- One free certificate may be requested each year
- Results are posted online
All success can only follow if students attend regularly and the application and effort are at high levels
Yr 10 students who have purchased a chromebook in 2020 will carry these into Yr 11 in 2021. If you are a new student to Yr 11 the Dean will advise you regarding the purchase of a Chromebook for 2021 and payment options available to you. Please email the Yr 11 Dean, Whaea Olivia George for more information.